Monday 26 March 2012

Introduction

To begin with a few words to say how and why I have gotten into writing, and why with Scott Nash.

Many years ago (we're talking 25+) as a young lad I was living in South Africa and for a brief time I went to a performing arts school of which my memories are few and far, but what I do remember I am fond of. What classes did I take - I honestly don't remember it was that long ago!! I do know that for a time I did Tap Dancing, and according to my oldest brother could put on quite a show at one time entertaining an auditorium full of people...

Sometimes I wonder what happened to that very confident 6 year old kid, not a worry in the world...

Anyway, yes I tap danced but don't ask me to do so now :) I also did break dancing and although older now I still have a move or two in me and on occasion if my friends are lucky enough (or get my liquored up just enough) they might just get a "worm" out of me. Again, if stories are true at it's peak this once very creative individual participated in a break dancing show, on stage in front of hundreds of on lookers. This I do have some memory of, although as a child the number of faces out there looked like thousands!!! Hey I probably couldn't yet count to a thousand, but it's my memory so I'm gonna stick with that :)

Drumming, I took lessons as a drummer! Now, I probably picked drums cuz I could just make a load of noise and get out some sort of innate desire to just smash the shit out of something!! But as it turned out I did enjoy this quite a lot, and even had some skill culminating in a TV commercial for something or another. Yeah I know that's very specific but that's what I got. Many years later I tried drumming again but the flare was gone. It's OK, I leave it to the pros and am glad at that - hearing a truly outstanding drum solo is an awesome thing.

And there was acting which I took some classes in. Again not much memory here, not of the classes, my fellow students, teachers... But I did get cast in another commercial as... dressed as a cowboy tormenting my on-screen grandma while pictures were being taken with a Kodak camera. Yes the commercial was for Kodak and I hope to one day find that commercial if only for nostalgic viewing.

Come to think of I not too long ago bought a Kodak printer. I wonder if I could have gotten some sort of discount....

And then I dropped out of the school, a personal choice because of some self-conscious decision that I didn't wanna take ballet... Partially because I really didn't wanna take ballet and also because at the time the schedule of the class conflicted with my favourite TV show as a kid, so I dropped out. In hind sight maybe not the smartest thing to do, and I have for the briefest moment (now and again) wondered what the road less travelled would have brought.

Again, it's OK cuz a couple years later I moved from South Africa to Florida, USA where a whole different adventure began (a story for another day, maybe).

Jump many, many years down the line, many film viewings later, many great TV shows later and we get to the decision to write!!

I have wanted to do this for years now, and for whatever reasons (of which I refuse to bore anyone with) haven't yet.
It's now time!!!

So after many discussions with my good friend Scott, I pick up a book I've had for years, dust it off and start reading learning the basics of script writing. And I discuss this with Scott during which an idea comes up, and then another, and again another.

We have several discussions, throwing around many ideas for both film and TV. At one time the writing team looks to possibly be a trio but there are creative plans in place beyond that of writing... He's a musician and a great one at that! My hopes are that "The Horn" will do a music score or 2 for one of our projects!

And then we settle on the first one, the one idea that has both our interest to begin with, a common ground to begin creating on. And we begin...

(Ok I've gone off on a bit of a tangent here and I have to get ready for work, so this will be completed tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment